It is our goal at T.E.S. to teach your child the skills to read, but also it is our challenge (and your challenge as a parent) to give your child the desire to want to read for fun and enjoyment. One of the ways we do this is to recognize the variety of reading that’s around. There are not only picture books and chapter books, but magazines, newspapers, how-to manuals, biographies, etc., etc.
Another way we do it is to model reading ourselves. I wonder how many of you are currently reading a book for pleasure? I hope it is 100%. I get bogged down sometimes reading books for school/work, but I am always reading newspapers and magazines. It feels like “down time” from my real reading, but does so much to broaden my world.
Other ideas to try at home:
- Read with them 25-30 minutes a day
- Ask them questions about what they are reading
- Encourage them to read to you out loud
- Have them tell you the main idea of what they read
- Encourage them to read things that they enjoy
- Have them read even when it is not an assignment